Why do things one-by-one when it can be done by bulk to save time? Infor CRM’s Update Tool is great for this reason. But what exactly is it, and how do you use it?
The update tool is a tool that is used to select multiple records, either out of a group or a lookup search, and allows the user to edit fields within those records all at once. This provides the user with a powerful method of bulk-editing multiple records and so for that reason it is only usually accessible by the CRM administrators. Simultaneously editing lots of records incorrectly, even if by mistake, can be a nightmare to sort out!
What are the limitations of this tool?
Before going into specific how-to’s, please note that the Update Tool can be used on Infor CRM 8.4, 8.3 and 8.2.
By being able to select multiple records at one time and edit the data within those records, you can probably already see the positive uses for this. However, it does have some limitations. One of these being that when updating the records, for every field you can only select one value. Meaning that if you have a lot of records that will need individual pieces of information changed then this tool may not suit your needs.
Another aspect that may be worth taking note of, is that this tool only works for fields that have selectable data. For example, the Status of an Opportunity can be bulk updated due to the fact that the Status is only ever going to be one of three options. Conversely, the description of an Opportunity will be specific to each individual record and therefore would not be updatable by bulk.
How to use the Infor CRM update tool
Firstly, you must make sure that you have been granted access to use this tool by your CRM administrator. Assuming that you have, you can follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the group that you would like to edit the records in
- Select the records that you would like to Update. This can be done by using ‘Ctrl’ and left clicking the records (this will allow you to select multiple records at once). If you’d like to update the entire group, then you don’t need to highlight any – simply click onto the Update tool on the right hand side of the screen, as seen in the screen shot here:
- The tools pop-up screen will appear and you should see a drop-down box, which will have all of the fields from the records that are enabled for bulk update. From this you can pick the relevant field
- It will then display another drop down or search box, dependant on which field you selected, and in this you will be able to choose an option for how you’d like to change the records
- Then simply click ‘Ok’ and it will update the selected records according to your criteria
- If you’d like to change more than one field at a time, then use the addition symbol on the right hand side and repeat the process above
Using any CRM system should enable you to be efficient and effective – and there are certainly many ways to do this with Infor CRM. But as with any tool, using it in the correct manner is key. Contact us if you have any questions!